Top Ten Foods To Avoid
A Healthy Diet: When it comes to food I am a firm believer in ‘you are what you eat’!
In my opinion, some of the foods people consume these days are the unhealthiest they have ever been. Wouldn’t you think with all the research and knowledge that we have today, foods would be healthier? The sad fact is that our food is making us sick and more susceptible to illness and diseases including cancer, obesity and diabetes.
When purchasing food for a healthy diet I stick to two golden rules:
1. Stay well clear of convenience or processed foods.
2. If I don’t understand the ingredients list, I don’t buy it.
Why? Most convenience foods provide little to no nutritional value and contain a high amount of sodium, sugar and saturated fats. Processed foods also often contain preservatives – MSG just to name one, besides artificial colouring, flavouring and other unnatural substances. Whilst these are relatively harmless if consumed occasionally, when consumed regularly these foods can harm your health contributing to an increased risk of some serious illnesses. It is nearly impossible to avoid processed or convenience foods 100% of the time – but my advice would be to cook your own food from raw ingredients and eat organic whenever you can to limit your exposure to things that don’t offer any nutritional benefits.
Here are just 10 popular food types I suggest not touching with a barge pole!
- All fizzy drinks including the diet varieties
- Pre-packed convenience food
- Processed white bread/pasta
- Fruit juices
- Fast foods – takeaways
- Canned vegetables – choose fresh wherever possible or frozen is the next best thing
- Refined table salt
- Processed meats including – sausages, hot dogs, salami, bacon, ham, corned beef, smoked meat, canned meat
- Refined vegetable oils and spreads including margarine
Over the next few weeks, I will be suggesting alternatives to help keep your healthy diet on the straight and narrow!
Watch this space.