How To Blitz Belly Fat
Belly fat – the single most hated and fought against body concern for most women.
While the promise of quick fixes through fad diets may seem tempting, the best way to reduce belly fat (including dangerous visceral fat) in a healthy and sustainable way is through a combination of a well balanced diet, exercise and rest.
The average person requires 1600-2000 calories per day and this should comprise of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein and good fats. It is also important to cut back on fast foods/convenience foods, sweets, sugary snacks, fizzy drinks and alcohol to shift stubborn belly fat.
You can find healthy recipe ideas and nutritional suggestions below:
Sleep and Stress
Getting enough quality sleep is important for blitzing belly fat because rest and recovery play an important role in fat loss. Stress can also interfere with a good night’s rest so calming the mind at the end of the day is necessary to help you wind down.
Sleep is important for:
- Brain function: lack of sleep can affect your ability to concentrate and can affect your performance
- Building and repairing muscles and cells
- Physical performance
- Reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Helping to stabilise the metabolism (rate at which the body burns fat)
- Mental wellbeing and emotions
5 facts about sleep:
- Sleep is just as important as diet and exercise.
- People who don’t get enough sleep are more likely to have bigger appetites due to the fact that their leptin levels (appetite-regulating hormone) fall, promoting appetite increase.
- In general, exercising regularly makes it easier to fall asleep and contributes to sounder sleep. However, exercising sporadically or right before going to bed will make falling asleep more difficult.
- We naturally feel tired at two different times of the day: about 2:00 AM and 2:00 PM. It is this natural dip in alertness that is primarily responsible for the post-lunch dip.
- Most healthy adults need 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night. Some individuals are able to function without sleepiness or drowsiness after as little as 6 hours of sleep but others can’t perform at their peak unless they’ve slept 10 hours.
- Take a warm, relaxing bath before bed
- Play soft music to help you drift into a deep sleep
- Drink chamomile tea
- Exercise daily
- Turn down/off the heating – 15C is about right
- Ensure the room is darkened
Try and include some form of activity every day in the belly fat battle. This could be something simple such as a brisk walk or washing the car to begin with. Progressively including cardiovascular and strength training together with a healthy eating plan will ensure you will soon be dropping body fat, shrinking your waist line, improving your health and reducing your overall risk of disease.
Other articles we think you might like:
Find out more about the Tuffit…
Design your own Tuffit from £199
Sleep facts from: The US National Sleep Foundation