Hot Weather Workout Tips
Now we are enjoying some sunshine (finally!) here are some top workout tips for staying safe during a hot weather workouts.
When you work out your body temperature increases. Our body reacts to the raise in temperature and the natural cooling system kicks in which is why we sweat. It’s important to replace these lost bodily fluids.
- Keep well hydrated – You should be drinking plenty throughout the day and during your workout. Eating fruit and vegetables which have a high water content is a good way to help keep you hydrated. You also need to make sure you have consumed enough foods containing carbohydrates, protein and fat throughout the day to fuel your workout.
Note: Unsure if you are drinking enough? Simply check the colour of your urine, it should be pale in colour, a dark yellow sample indicates the body is dehydrated and more water is needed.
- We are not used to a hot climate in this country and it is advisable to avoid the hottest part of the day – normally between 10am and 3pm . Train early in the morning or in the evening when the temperatures are at their lowest.
- Wear lightweight, loose fitted breathable clothing to allow the air to circulate around your body, keeping you cool. If you are training out in the sun, your clothes should be light in colour as dark colours absorb the heat. It is also advisable to wear a hat and sunscreen.
- If training outdoors opt for a shaded area with a breeze.
- If training indoors, open doors and windows. A fan would help circulate the air and keep you cool.
- Start out steady and just accept you will not be able to work as hard or for as long as you normally would when the temperatures are much lower. Should you feel dizzy, faint, nauseous, or experience muscle cramps stop immediately and call it a day!
- Be sensible – The sunshine and warmth makes us feel good and can be a trigger for some people to start a new exercise regime in order to look good in the summer wardrobe. If you have been inactive for some time, it is not a good idea to kick off your new regime in the scorching heat. Starting a new exercise regime is demanding on the body, be sensible and wait for a cooler day!
Stay safe using our workout tips and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts!
Other articles we think you might like:
Find out more about the Tuffit…
Design your own Tuffit from £199